Teething in babies
Teething is when the milk teeth start erupting through the gums, which mainly first happens at the age of 6-7 months, although this can vary enormously. Some babies show signs of the first milk teeth erupting at the age of 3-4 months. It is important to differentiate between teething and the eruption of a tooth. A tooth takes 4-7 days to emerge from the gum, while the process of teething takes place on a continuous basis until the age of 12-14 months, and is generally completely finished by the age of 2.5-3 years.
The milk teeth erupt in the following order
- 6-7 months: four incisors;
- 7-9 months: a further four incisors;
- 10-14 months: four premolars;
- 15-18 months: four canines;
- 24-36 months: four molars.
Symptoms of teething in babies
- The initial signs are discomfort and a feeling of constant tension
- Sleeplessness and irritability
- Constant chewing
- Weaker immune system due mainly to the introduction into the mouth of non-sterile objects as a result of the need to chew
- Slight temperature
- Loss of appetite
- Loose stool
What can the parent do?
- Divert attention from the discomfort and feeling of tension by regularly dealing, playing with the baby.
- When teething, babies love chewing textile cloths. Soak the fabric in cold camomile tea, thus soothing inflamed gums while chewing.
- Another effective anti-inflammatory is to give the baby lukewarm camomile or sage herbal tea.
- Specially designed chewing toys can be chilled and these may be helpful in treating the symptoms of teething.
- Local anaesthetic gels such as Dologel, which provides fast relief after being massaged into the painful area, are very effective. Local anaesthetic is also frequently needed for practical reasons, for instance when the baby does not want to eat because of the discomfort.
How to use Dologel
Wash your hands thoroughly and place a small quantity of gel on the tip of your finger.
Gently rub the gel on the gums or other painful areas of the mouth.
Repeat the application up to five times a day.
- Valeriana extract 5%,
- Camomile extract 5%,
- Extract ofpropolis 5%,
- Excipients q.s. 100%.
Advices on use
- Keep the tube tightly closed after use.
- Store below 30°C.
- Do not use after the expiry date shown on the tube.